Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Tooth Fairy

For the past couple of weeks, Garrett's teeth seem to be loosening by the dozens! Ok, that's a little dramatic...he really only has two teeth loose. But when you only have 20 (or so), then losing two at the same time seems like a lot!

When we first found out that these two teeth were loose, I got really excited and told him that pretty soon all his teeth would start falling out and then the tooth fairy would come and take them while he was asleep!

Uh, his reaction? He started bawling, holding his mouth like he was being asked to give up his most prized possessions! I stepped back for a second and heard my "exciting explanation" through a 5 year-old's eyes and figured that I should have really worked on the delivery of that news. So we calmed him down until he understood that this "tooth loosening" thing was actually a wonderful rite of passage that all 5 year-old eventually go through.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and here we are! Garrett's first tooth is finally gone. He was actually VERY brave about losing it. In fact, he let Jeff simply pull it out! I told Jeff that I couldn't do it. Ugh, the thought of having to do so made me nauseous... But Jeff, usually being the one that shys away from any sight of blood, waltzed in there and did the job beautifully! No tears. No blood!
So under the pillow the tooth went tonight! And just in time for his first day of Kindergarten tomorrow! We are excited to see what the Tooth Fairy will bring in exchange for a boy's "most prized possession!"

No comments: