Shortly after my parents visit to Dallas at the beginning of November, we realized that their 3 and 1/2 day trip was just not long enough. Mind you, with my parents having 7 kids living in 5 different locations around the world (literally...my sister lives in China), they have become world travelers! Combine that with both of them working full time at work and church, it's hard to actually catch them at home with "nothing to do!" But thankfully, with a little wiggle room in between their Thanksgiving trip to Utah and their Christmas trip to Hawaii, we were able to plan a quick, week-long trip to Florida. Unfortunately, Jeff wasn't able to take work off, so just me and the boys took flight!
I hadn't been back to my parents' house (outside of Jacksonville) for over a year, so it was so nice to go home and be babied once again by my mom. She really is the greatest hostess ever! Not only did she do all our laundry every day, but she is always so great about having meals prepared and memorable activities planned. Each day we literally had a detailed agenda! Not to mention, she had completely decked out the house with Christmas decor (all for the boys' sake) and even had presents wrapped under the tree for Garrett and Isaac...one for each night we were there. We quickly dubbed our nightly present opening, "The Six Days of Christmas." Her thoughtfulness will be remembered for a long time to come.
I never realized that a short trip home could recharge me like it did. I especially treasured the time that my boys had to spend with their grandparents. I'd give anything to have them live closer! I hold on to the hope that maybe one day, they will! Needless to say, this trip home was extra special. It made me remember why I'm a mother...because I've had the example of parents who constantly proved that life is made complete, because of, and through their children.
I'm also grateful for parents who continue to be, well...my parents. I appreciate the advice and emotional support they give to Jeff and me. We don't know everything yet, so their examples are priceless. We seem to have a lot of unknowns lately...enough to throw us both for a loop. So we've both come to rely on the constant steady hand that my parent's advice provides. I can't imagine my life without it.
Of course our trip wasn't complete without visiting the St. John's River pier (I actually jumped in that river once....key word, once!), enjoying the lights in St. Augustine (THE oldest city in the United States), the Christmas Fair in Green Cove Springs, and making Gingerbread houses with Craig and Cassie (my little brother and his darling wife), who came over from Gainesville to visit. It was fun to spend time with them. By the end of the trip Garrett had a new best friend...Cassie! I think it was due to the fact that she was the only one that would sit down with him and play Play-Do for hours! That girl is creative!
Anyway, since our Christmas is going to be rather quiet this year (no visitors), it was nice to fill our cantine of family love before hand. Love you Mom and Dad! And, Go Gators!
Sunday, December 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comment:
I loved reading about your trip "home". I have been to St. Augustine to see the lighthouse with Alisa. So I could visulize a little part of your trip.
Family is special. I am grateful you got to have this special time with the boys and your parents.
Thanks for journaling this time.
Post a Comment